Thursday, July 7, 2011

Painted Toe Nails


There is something special about painted toe nails. That's coming from me who is not the "girly" type at all. I think I grew up doing "tomboyish" stuff. I distinctly remember that I didn't like playing with dolls. What I loved was riding my BMX bike (and leaving a scar on my face in the process), playing with slingshots, and participating in street games with my playmates. And I remember them being mostly boys, including my brothers. I have four brothers, and my only sister came into the family when I was already 10 years old, so I ended up taking care of her instead of playing girly things with her.

Since I wasn't particularly enamored with girly things, you can just imagine how I hate to do my nails. But as I grew up and became a "responsible" adult, I found out that I have to do some things a "lady" should do, like having my nails polished. I don't remember when my first time was but I know I made a huge mess after that first attempt. Now I leave it to the experts. Honestly, my favorite part of the whole process will always be the foot massage. The painted toe nails are, of course, also nice as I get to enjoy it for the rest of the summer or until they get chipped, whatever comes first.

I'm guessing even during the time of Cleopatra, they had some form of toe painting. It's indeed fit for a queen! Now in these modern times, it has evolved into some kind of an art in itself. There are hundreds of different colors available, hundreds of different styles, and even the artificial and sculptured ones like the acrylic, gel or fabric are out there for our choosing. The list is endless!

It is something pretty to look at and some ladies say it makes them feel good. This may sound vain but there's nothing wrong with making ourselves beautiful and "presentable." Even for men, who normally don't care about cosmetics, hair styles or nail polish, they also like to look at pretty nails as compared to looking at some not-so-pretty ones. Everytime I have my nails buffed and painted, my husband notices them and we call it the "jingling bells" on foot especially when I use a red, glittery polish whenever I can. It's fun and it is nice. Life is too short to be too rigid about some things.

Yet it is also my hope that as I try to be pretty and to be "easy on the eyes" for my husband that I will also make an effort to be more beautiful for my God. He says in His Word that man looks at the outside but God sees the heart. I hope that I may be pleasing in His eyes from the inside as it radiates to the outside as well. 
"Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price." -1 Peter 3:1-4

Submission to anything or any person has always been a struggle for me. In college, where feminism, human rights, and justice were parts of my life and my daily environment, those days have instilled in me a "fighting stance" where and when it matters. But I don't consider myself a real activist but if I feel threatened or "stepped on," I do respond accordingly. So, when I got married and me and my husband made the decision to follow and obey God in everything, it was difficult to read verses that say "wives submit to your own husband." What, me... submit? Oh, do pigs fly?

That was then and this is now. God has taught me a lot in this area of my life and I can't believe that obeying my husband as the leader of our family, submitting to him and trusting his decisions and his leadership, and to be his partner (the Bible uses the word helper) is like breathing air for me. But sometimes, even when breathing we may choke up or the air goes down the wrong pipe. It happens. So I wouldn't say that everything is perfect all the time because I would be lying. What's important is how we try to make things work and how we made the decision for God to be the center of our marriage. My husband would joke that the secret of our good relationship is that he makes all the "major" decisions in our life, and there has been no need for him to take over yet because it has only been "minor" decisions for me so far! Funny guy, isn't he?

It is my prayer that as I continue to love my painted toe nails and try to make my outward appearance "not too shabby," that I will also focus on my inward parts and not to neglect the things which are not seen so I may be pleasing to God. 
"Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom." -Psalms 51:6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...