Thursday, July 28, 2011

Being Human

Human Being. What a curious and very interesting creature, don't you think so? There is nothing like us. Of course, there are the other crawly and jumpy, huge and microscopic, aquatic or amphibious, and adorable animals in the world but there is nothing like a human being. Our brains and intelligence put us on the top rank in the animal kingdom, as I've learned from science class. Even in our weakness, those tears and emotions make us different and unique from all the rest of creation. We are special. Can you imagine earth without humans? It would be chaos! Not that it's unchaotic right now but you know what I mean.

I am not a very "science-y" person. I only managed to pass all my science subjects since grade school by sheer wit and charm. Or, maybe it was all those "allnighters" I used to put in, who knows? But, having said that, I do enjoy a little scientific discussion for as long as I don't have to take an exam after. Museum visits do not excite me but I do try very hard to enjoy and entertain myself, learn new things from the exhibits, and appreciate facts I've never known before. I've learned that the "workings" and "mechanisms" of the human body is so amazing that everything that goes on inside of us is so wonderful and mind-boggling.

Take the fact for instance that our stomach's digestive acids are strong enough to dissolve zinc. But since the cells in the stomach lining renew so quickly, these acids don't have enough time to harm us. They are designed to be where they are only to help us digest food efficiently. Isn't that a relief to know? And here's another one --each of the human kidneys has 1 million individual filters. They filter an average of 1.3 liters of blood per minute, that's approximately 3 and a half regular cans of soda. And here are more facts: there are 25 million cells being produced each second in our body. Our skin emits antibacterial substances that kill most known bacteria, germs and spores that we come in contact with every second. When we're asleep, that's when our body do most of its "repair" work. There's no specific figure I can find but experts say, approximately 70-80% of our body's healing happen at night when we're sleeping. These repairs are not just for replenishing our lost energy or taking away the tiredness after a long day, but from the cells to our kidneys and the lungs, they replicate and repair themselves. All we have to do is sleep! If you're still not convinced that, exceptions aside, we have an awesome body and are not blown-away by these facts, please pinch yourself, you might not be alive.

Now that we have established how impressive our bodies are, add to that a heart and a brain that function beyond the "mechanical" features they possess, then the whole package is astounding. A living, breathing, feeling, thinking, incredible creation! How can anyone even begin to think that we came from the apes? No offense to the monkeys, but I don't think human beings are evolved primates. No matter how many millions or billions of years have passed since the earth and its occupants "came into being" (this according to scientists and anthropologists which is not accurate either, as per the Bible experts), there's just no way a shrimp can become a lobster, or an ant can become a camel, let alone a primate becoming a human being. I don't know about you but I don't particularly feel affiliated to them at all.

If I tell you that a simple, lowly pencil I use at work just happen to come into being, that it just appeared from all the molecules hovering around, and from the combination of the atmospheric chemicals, the air, and maybe some toxicity somewhere, then my pencil was "produced," would you believe me? Of course not! Even a lowly pencil has a creator. Someone made it. Someone designed and planned for it to be a real thing. So how is it that when it comes to human beings, with all our wonders, complexity, our staggering features and qualities, people still can't fully accept that we are made by a Creator? Why is it so hard to believe? To me, believing I came from apes takes even more faith than believing that God created me.
"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." -Genesis 1:26-27

And another glorious thing of being human is the truth that we have a God who truly and completely can say that He knows how it is to be like us. I know that I can cry out to Him and be absolutely sure that He understands everything I'm going through. Jesus left His heavenly throne and abandoned His divinity to become a fetus inside a nervous teenager and He became dependent on humans for His survival as an infant. The King of kings and the Lord of lords came down from heaven to earth and can't even speak nor feed Himself as a baby, but He did it all because of love. He is my almighty, perfect God who loves me so much that He is willing to be a human being so He can come down to my level, see my humanity with His own eyes, and then die for me. What more do I want from Him?

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely wonderful and incisive piece; how any really thinking person can believe that life somehow popped into being 'just like that' with no causal factors, no Creator being involved, does take more faith than actually believing that a loving Creator did create everything, and did create humans as original creations.

    As you say, I don't believe we came from apes; how can spiritual beings come from what are essentially non-spiritual beings like apes?

    We are far more than we can ever realise; as science catches up with God, we are beginning to see how wonderful and utterly complex we are.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...