Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Call me Blessed

According to dictionary.com, the word blessed means consecrated; sacred; holy; sanctified; to be blissfully happy or contented. Consecrated means to make or be declare sacred; to be set apart or dedicate to the service of a deity. Holy means to be dedicated or devoted to the service of God; saintly; godly; pious; devout. To sanctify is to purify or to free from sin. 


Whoa, brain freeze! Too many big words, and too many deep definitions! But, please, bear with me on this and try to take some time to digest and understand all these words and their meanings. It's important. This is important for me. I needed this for myself, for me to grasp the words and to understand them completely and thoroughly before I write this piece. 

Ready? The reason why I included these words on this post today and their meanings ---blessed, consecrated, holy and to be sanctified, because..... that's what I am! By God's marvelous and endless grace, I am indeed blessed!

And yet, this is not how I've felt all my life. I've always thought I was a good person, sure, but I've never considered myself to be holy. I might be better compared to some people (specifically those convicted murderers and molesters in jail) but I wouldn't call myself as blessed. These "special" words were set aside only for the "Saints" (in man's definition) and for the great Bible characters like Moses, David, Isaac, Joshua, Jeremiah, Mary, John and all the disciples of Jesus (except Judas Iscariot, of course), but not for me!

In fact, there has always been a feeling of awe and respect that came with these particular words. And this is not too hard for me to understand either. When I was younger, I've never heard any of my friends or family members to be called as holy or blessed. It was simply not one of the ordinary words we use among our peers and in family circles. I'm only guessing here now, but there might even be some people who would think that using these words to describe a sinner like me is close to blasphemy and is a big lie. Even to utter such words among mortals seem inconceivable in my young mind back then, and I'm sure it still is to some people now. I do understand where they're coming from and why they would think that way because I've been there before. There is a common (but wrong) notion that nobody can ever be called holy or consecrated if he or she is only an ordinary person or a layman, and if he has never been ordained or has not been "called" specifically by God to be His "official" and anointed servant. Sadly, I kinda get what they mean when some people have such a notion.

But, thank God and glory to Him alone, this is not true. According to His Word, the Bible, all those who have believed and trusted in Him and in His only Son, Jesus Christ, on what He has done on the cross to save all of us, are to be called saints, holy, blessed, consecrated and sanctified. In fact, we are commanded to be all these things:

"For I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy." -Leviticus 11:44

"Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy." -1 Peter 1:13-16

"Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile." -Psalm 32:1-2

"...Now ye have consecrated yourselves unto the LORD, come near and bring sacrifices and thank offerings into the house of the LORD. And the congregation brought in sacrifices and thank offerings; and as many as were of a free heart burnt offerings." -2 Chronicles 29:31(b)

"Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ." -1 Corinthians 1:2-3

"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God." -1 Corinthians 6:9-11


There are even more, so much more, passages in the Bible that talk about these truths but I can't post them all on here. You have to seek, search and read your own Bible so you yourself can see. Ask for the guidance and teaching of the Holy Spirit in order for you to understand and to find out what it is that you seek from God in His Word. I'm positive that God will lead you directly to His truth.

As a final note, I declare, I claim, and I attest that I am a saint. Not the "Saint" as people would think or define, nor a "Saint" who is perfect and flawless because I am far from it, but I am a saint of God according to His authority and sovereignty in my life. I have been made holy and been sanctified by the blood of Jesus Christ which has covered and washed away all my sins --past, present and future, not by my own doing or of who I am but only by God's grace. I am a saint! And I can't get over this truth, ever. Nor do I ever want to, for my life has been consecrated for God's glory alone. Amen!

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Mara, truly inspiring and enlightening. We all need to hear this over and over again until it enters our thick skulls! Certainly my thick skull anyway!

    Yes we are saints, even if far from perfect, and God's path is a straight path without crookedness that is easy to follow if we are prepared to listen and learn. God bless you Mara and keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tim. Yes, I can relate with how you feel about this. It made me cringe before when I just even think that I'm God's holy saint because, let's not kid ourselves, I'm not even near it one bit if what I've done would be scrutinized & inspected. I'm a sinner, but God's Word is true! And I praise Him for that! Bye, saint Tim! Talk to you next time... =)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to write this for I loved reading it! It brings chills all over me to think about how much God loves plain ole ordinary me....loves us all in fact. I'm so glad we are able to call ourselves "blessed." Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Salina. And thank you so much for taking the time to read & leave a comment on here. I appreciate it much! I'm equally blessed when brothers & sisters in Christ visit my blog & tell me what they think & on how God continues to bless them. I belong to an awesome family in the Lord! Thank you! =)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...