Friday, September 30, 2011

Skeletons In The Closet

"For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known. Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops." -Luke 12:2-3


I remember when I was little, I used to sneak into my Mama's walk-in closet. It was like some kind of an adventure for me --to look for "treasures" or play hide-and-seek with my friends and my siblings. To a child, that closet was a whole different, magical world. My Mama have the coolest, nicest and most interesting things. She has all sorts of jewelry in different shapes and sizes, of sparkling colors and intricate designs with stones that I can't even identify. They were the most wonderful and beautiful things I've ever seen in my life back then. There were also some crystal bottles of perfumes in dazzling hues, silk scarves as big as blankets, soft long robes (in pink!), big shoes and huge hats. I'm sure Mama knew what I was doing in there but since I don't take anything out of the closet she'd allow me to play. Well, I won't take the robes nor the jewelry but I would taste the imported chocolates I'd occasionally find in there. I'd take a piece and hope Mama wouldn't notice later.

My most favorite thing in that closet was Mama's make-up set. She had a whole bag of Mary Quant cosmetics. I was only a child but I knew those were real good stuff. I'd put on some rouge on my cheeks and maybe some eye color but what I really, really loved was the bright, deep rich red lipstick. I still remember how it felt and looked on my lips (and some on my hair too!). It was a glossy lipstick which had a subtle scent to it. I cherish those play make-up times of my childhood that's why I try to find some Mary Quant cosmetics for myself now but I'm disappointed they're not available in America. Those kinds of things have a tag of sentimental value in people's hearts and minds because of the memories they leave behind.

As I got older, I began to learn things only grown-ups would (and should) know. I hear a phrase like "skeletons in the closet." As a child I wasn't afraid of the closet or of having any skeletons in there for that matter. It's sad how becoming a grown-up can take away the "magic" and the mystery of childhood and its precious moments. It's so scary how some kids are forced to grow-up and mature beyond their age because of situations that hurt them and their families. I know we live in a fallen, sin-cursed world but despite this knowledge it still pains me to see helpless children being robbed off of their childhood, their innocence and all of the great memories that can only come from being a kid.

There are "new world" teachings and a philosophy of humanism which believe that all humans are inherently good. Most people want to trust the best in people but for some reason, I've been witnessing too much of the opposite to this lately. I won't go much into the details of my experience but it burdens me to see that "the love of many has wax cold" (Matthew 24:12). I also attest that I've personally "looked evil in the eye" at least a couple of times in my life. Those eye-opening realities make me wonder at times, are people capable of diabolic tendencies? Do I have the secrets of abomination lurking inside me? Do I naturally lean towards evil if I don't consciously and willfully fight the primal urge? Very, very tough questions to ask. "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" -Jeremiah 17:9

"For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies." -Matthew 15:19

"If we have forgotten the name of our God, or stretched out our hands to a strange god; Shall not God search this out? for he knoweth the secrets of the heart." -Psalm 44:20-21

It breaks my heart just to think that everyday somewhere, somehow children are being abused, beaten, hurt beyond words, and their childhood destroyed. Oftentimes these unspeakable and horrendous acts are done to them by heartless, wicked and evil adults who are supposed to take care and protect them in the first place. As a mother and as a human being I can't help to feel seething anger within me and to feel useless at the same time because in reality, there's really not much I can do. I grit my teeth and I cry for those innocent, young, helpless children. Most of all, I pray for them. I may not know their names nor what's really happened to them but as I've said before, I am utterly and completely sure that prayer works. I may not personally witness now on how God works based on the prayers of His saints from all over the world yet I am positive He hears us, always. (And yes, the Bible says that all who believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God are His saints --both living and dead.)

"In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel." -Romans 2:16
To our eyes and human logic we may think there's no justice for all the children who have been hurt needlessly by evil people, but by the assurance of the Bible, God says there shall be justice. Justice for all, not just for the children. Justice for those who have been wronged and hurt. God's justice is perfect. In His time and by His perfect will would He judge all man including me. If I don't get to see His judgment while I'm still alive, I'm sure and I'm persuaded that everything will be under His perfect ruling after all of human life as we know it is over. Glory to the perfect, most high and righteous Judge alone! 
"The LORD shall judge the people: judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness, and according to mine integrity that is in me. Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end; but establish the just: for the righteous God trieth the hearts and reins." -Psalm 7:8-9

2 comments:

  1. "...are people capable of diabolic tendencies? Do I have the secrets of abomination lurking inside me? Do I naturally lean towards evil if I don't consciously and willfully fight the primal urge? Very, very tough questions to ask. "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" -Jeremiah 17:9"

    Wonderful post Mara, and very searching. I think we all have a tendency towards sin and sinful behaviour in our natural state. We ALL have a tendency towards sinfulness; I have a bad temper sometimes when I am messed about, even when it's nobodies' particular fault! I am working on this and know the triggers which set me off, and I pray about it too.

    Without regard to God, and other people, we tend naturally to selfishness and elitism, and this leads very quickly to sin, especially when we disregard other people. This doesn't me we are particularly evil in intent, but the end result of indifference, let alone evil, to other people can produce bad results. We need to be obedient to Jesus, and to His laws, ways and precepts and what is biblically sound.

    http://tchildschristianityblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, thanks for being honest Tim. It's so refreshing to know Christians who don't hide behind the "cloak of salvation in Christ" just to show-off our "saintliness." The truth is, we are all sinners & will never be perfect without Christ. We need Him, always. It is by Him, through Him & in Him alone that we can be regenerated from inside out. God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...